Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Kurt Cobain...

It's been 17 years since I was sitting next to the counter in my parents surf and skate store on a wooden stool covered in 80's stickers. It had one leg that always seemed to need a little bit of fixing. I'd sat on that store loads of time before this day and loads of times after. Others had sat on the same stool to chill and chat about the waves, what skate spots they'd been at or to check out the latest photo's we had up on the pin board behind it at the time.

What set this day apart from others was that my father walked into the store and told me 'that the guy I like, that sings in that band, just died'. After throwing questions out and trying to narrow it down, I was shattered, it was Kurt Cobain.

People harrass fans for saying that his lyrics spoke to them and that they felt connected to him. Everyone feels music differently and that is the beauty of what music is. It was a sad sad day and many musicians have died before Kurt and many will continue to but there was definately and unquestionably something special about his talent. I felt those songs deep, whether it was the words or the music, it struck a chord.

Like others, I wonder what he would be like today. If he'd be coping with things differently, fame, personal issues and what his songs would be like. There are different trains of thought about whether he actually did commit suicide or whether he was murdered. Either way Frances Bean was left without a talented and amazing father and I'm not here to speculate or offer an opinion. I'm just writing this to continue to remember how fuckin amazing Nirvana was as a band, how their music will always kick arse and how Kurt Cobain was a fuckin brilliant song writer.

Kurt Donald Cobain
February 20, 1967 – April 5, 1994.

No comments: